Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Alcoholism

Ever since I could remember my uncle has struggled with alcoholism. I remember when I was a child when my father would drop me off at my grandmother’s house to before school and my dad would pick up my uncle who lived at my grandma’s at 30 years old. Some days my uncle would be so drunk my uncle would not get out of bed or he would wet the bed. He eventually got married to a nice girl but she devoiced three years later because of his drinking problem. After that he lost his job (in which his bother was his boss), and lost his house. The last couple of Christmases he has showed up drunk and passes out in a chair. Recently he had a job interview and he needed white shirts and boots, so I gave him my old boots and bought him shirts. The next day was his first day of the job and he was late, so then he drove his buddies car to the place without a license to the place and then got there and the boss of the place thought he was drunk so he blew legally drunk and lost the job. I have never seen some one mess up there life that much. The good thing is that he is now going to AA meetings every day.  Alcoholism has hurt my family very much and there is not much we can do about it. If you know that is struggling with alcoholism help as much as you can with out making the addiction worse.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your family's struggle with alcoholism. You may already be aware of this, but in case not...besides AA for the alcoholic, there are also support groups for family members of an alcoholic, like Al-Anon, Alateen and ACA (adult children of alcoholics). You can find more information at www.al-anon.alateen.org and www.adultchildren.org. Some of the most important things you'd learn in these groups are: it's not your fault, you can't make an alcoholic drink or not drink, how to lovingly detach yourself from the chaos created by an alcoholic, how to stop enabling and how to take care of yourself

    ReplyDelete